This narrative-focused JRPG offers an experimental quirky philosophical take on videogames. It starts out as the quest of a child, chosen by the gods to protect the world. But after defeating what seems like the final boss, the title becomes "Ren's Demons II" and the story continues into an oddly similar yet different tale. The real core of the game then becomes clear: the player is in a meta-quest to escape a neverending cycle of suffering, which will extend outside of the scope of the game all the way into the real world! Through a completely original game engine and a unique graphical style, it leverages the adventure of a young hero to question the relationship of the player to the characters, and ultimately to their own world.
This game was developped in 4 years by a single developper in his spare time. It was born from a desire to explore what a videogame felt like from the point of view of the NPCs.
It was built around die-and-retry mechanism and save scumming as first citizens, with the goal of making the gameplay reach outside of the boundaries of a game, as it became clear that the final boss would be the player themselves. It quickly evolved to encapsulate many philosophical themes and a focus on challenging the players sincerely with a truthful and accurate representation of technology.
After the experience of my first game You Doesn't Exist, I was very frustrated with problems with the game engine that I could not address, so I ended up making my own game engine from scratch. I was also determined to do a game that could be enjoyable from the start and move away from the formula "bear through the innocuous beginning to get to the exciting part", so I was careful to design original and creative gameplay from the start. Those driving factors dictated much of the project.
- A non-linear universe full of optional content for you to explore
- A quirky narrative battle system
- A minimalist atypical colorful art style
- An entirely original cross-platform game engine built for the project
- Favorite old school RPG features coming back: walk on the world map, name your characters, and more
- A procedurally generated world different for every player
- 15 unique characters to invite to your party, more than 74 monsters to encounter
- 7 different endings
- Between 5 and 30 hours of content depending on how exploratory you feel
- In web browser: can be played on any platform
Release Trailer — YouTube
Logo & Icon
It is similar to Undertale in the sense of being its own meta-game and a role-playing game, but Ren’s Demons I is unique in its storytelling, visuals, and gameplay. Ren’s Demons I is an absolute blast to play for RPG fans and has philosophical themes mixed well with clever storytelling that stands out from the modern games.Azra3l, Steamgamer
Ren's Demons, a JRPG unlike any you've ever played before. Full of experimental mechanics which are integral to both the gameplay and the story.CSH Picone, Steam
Ren's Demons I is a narrative meta-RPG written beautifully on philosophical themes. It encourages as much exploration and interaction at your own pace. The game breaks the 4th wall and your emotions.What The Game?, Steam
- Ren's Demo
- This short demo presents the game engine and vibe with a standalone independant mini-story. yo252yo.itch.io.
- Software Engineer doing solo game dev in his spare time, interested in experimental projects at the crossroad of art, technology and philosophy.
- More information
- More information on Yo252Yo, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Ren's Demons I Credits
- Creator, designer, programer, game engine
- Title art, trailer, testing